CLAUDINE BURNETT BOOKS

Move Over Seals, the 1932 Olympics are Coming!
By Claudine Burnett
In 1925, Long Beach had a problem that had been brewing for over ten years. What was the city to do with the colony of seals residing in Alamitos Bay? Fishing had been the main industry at the Bay. The problem for the fishermen was that a seal with a normal appetite consumed eight to ten pounds of fish daily. According to angry anglers, this was only a fraction of the fish they killed each day. To make matters worse, seals also destroyed fishing nets. A fight was brewing, not only between the fishermen and the seals (who were really sea lions), but also between Long Beach and its neighbor across the bay − Seal Beach.
In 1913, enterprising real estate developers, who were also the city fathers of Bay City, decided to promote the playful marine creatures that lived on the sand spit at the mouth of Alamitos Bay. They did this by changing the name of their town to Seal Beach. What ensued was one of the most extensive real estate promotion schemes to date. *

For over a year, readers of area newspapers were treated to a daily dose of ads showing cute seals. Tourists, who would hopefully buy Seal Beach real estate, flocked to the seaside resort to watch the intriguing creatures. Conscious that the success of selling land rested on promoting the seals, Seal Beach officials quickly passed an ordinance giving the seals the city’s protection against irate fisherman.
Long Beach was not happy with the Seal Beach decision. And since many in Long Beach had invested in Seal Beach real estate, a compromise was needed. Suggesting that the “seal” promotion had run its course, Long Beach Recreation Superintendent Squire De Ree announced a possible solution: move the seals that ventured to the Long Beach side of the bay to Lake Elsinore. It would be an ideal spot, Du Ree stated on March 21, 1925, because the lake was stocked with carp, which humans did not like to eat, but which would make fine feed for the seals. With the seals out of the way, the State could stock Alamitos Bay with striped bass and other edible fish, making it one of the greatest fishing spots in the world.
Recreation Park Superintendent Frank H. Downs suggested a more practical solution: enclose the seals in the lagoons of Recreation Park. “Go to the Bronx Park in New York or to Golden Gate Park in San Francisco and you will see that more people are gathered around the seals than around any other object of interest,” Downs told the Press Telegram on March 26th. He believed the seals would prove one of the greatest tourist draws to the park.
On May 25, 1925, all plans for seal removal were curtailed when Governor Richardson signed Assembly Bill 677 protecting the seals of Alamitos Bay. Now, with the 1932 Olympic games approaching, Long Beach residents saw the future of Alamitos Bay lying with aquatic sports.
On August 9, 1925, the Surf and Bay Club started the slogan: “Bring the aquatic sports of the 1932 Olympic games to Long Beach.” The club planned “The First Annual Pre-Olympic Water Carnival of Southern California,” a jubilee to raise money for the Olympic Water Sports Fund. Seven Labor Day carnivals were planned: one each year until the 1932 Olympics. By doing this the Surf and Bay Club hoped to establish a track record showing the Olympic committee they could put on and handle aquatic Olympic style events, as well as raise money. What resulted was the formation of the Long Beach Aquatic Sports Committee, which consisted of members from the Surf and Bay Club, Chamber of Commerce, Bank of Italy, and Recreation Department.
Their goal was stated in the Press Telegram (8/9/1925):
“While the ultimate aim of this movement is to obtain the Olympic games for Long Beach, the advertising the city will get from the seven water carnivals alone must not be minimized. We expect to advertise these water carnivals extensively all over the Southland. The Pacific Electric will co-operate by advertising the attractions in their cars. Newspapers will carry columns of matter devoted to the events and moving pictures newsreels will be made of them.”
The 1925 Labor Day event, according to local news sources, was a tremendous success. Over 2,000 people swarmed to Alamitos Bay to view swimming and diving events, horse swimming and speed boat races (all this activity kept the seals at bay!). However, because of lack of money the event was not held again. The torch to bring the water events of the Olympics to Long Beach was picked up by William Wrigley, who owned Catalina Island. In the years to come he sponsored a number of aquatic events associated with crossing the Catalina channel: in 1926 there was an aquatic relay race from Long Beach to Avalon, the free-for-all marathon across the channel in January 1927, and the rowing race in June of the same year. Big money prizes were offered to the winners, and contestants came from around the world. In addition, there was the lure of a movie contract, if the athletes interviewed well and did their best in the competition.

On June 21, 1932, Long Beach was selected to host the Olympic yacht racing and rowing events. In anticipation, Long Beach broke ground for the Olympic Marine Stadium on April 7, 1932. Construction of the stadium provided needed employment to the city’s unemployed. Its dedication on July 23rd launched the city’s Golden Jubilee festivities, which noted Long Beach’s fiftieth anniversary. Following the birthday celebrations, the Olympics began.
*To see all the “seal” promotional ads for Seal Beach, along with a history, visit my blog The Sealing of Seal Beach